Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Kaya

Lately, I have been having cravings for kaya (caramelized coconut custard).  So, yesterday, I finally put my feet down and cracked my knuckles and got all the ingredients I needed to make KAYA.

Of course, I didn't know the recipe, so using the usual custard recipe, I manipulated it in order to make kaya.  Hahaha!!!  But then I started having second thoughts, so, I rushed to the computer to search for kaya recipe.  Haaa.....

I realized that most recipes used whole eggs, whereas I was using egg yolks (since I based it on custard recipe).  Anyway, after mixing three egg yolks with corn starch, I decided to add three additional whole eggs.  And since I had quite a lot of eggs now, I used the entire can of coconut milk (400 ml) I bought from the oriental store.  Right before I added the sugar, I suddenly remembered something my mom did---adding caramel into the mixture.  So, behaving like a mad scientist, I decided to add half of the 150 ml of sugar into the mixture and another half I melted it into caramel.

Then, thinking I was brilliant, I added the steaming hot caramel into my silky smooth custard.  An explosion like reaction occurred, followed by waff of steam.  By the time everything seemed to settle, I noticed my silky smooth custard looked like curdled custard.  I think my soul left me momentarily....

But I didn't want to give up my KAYA.  I refused to think my KAYA didn't make it.  I tried to resuscitate to its silky self using a sieve and a rubber spatula.  Through the sieve, I vigorously pushed all the curdled custard.  But at last, I only managed to make KAYA into rough looking custard.  It tasted good though.

Oh well, I guessed some life came back after all, but it was not in its top shape.  I will try better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment