Saturday, May 18, 2013

Molasses Cookies


I read a article a couple days ago about a miracle mineral that is good for our body---that is magnesium. It is a mineral that is absolutely vital for our body, which contribute to "nearly 300 biochemical reactions...within our body," (quoted from Organicauthority.org).  So with this in mind, I wanted to use ingredients that is rich in magnesium for baking.  And one thing came to mind---blackstrap molasses.  It is available widely in grocery stores, though I personally prefer the one without sulfur in it.  The recipe I used is from Martha Stewart's Molasses Cookies.  As usual, I made a few minor changes in the recipe to suit my family's taste.

Firstly, I often find recipes from the US are often too sweet.  In this case, I reduce the sugar to 1/3 cup of sugar.  And I skip some of the spices, mostly for personal taste.  I prefer less spiciness in cookies.  Then I set to work.  This is a fairly simple recipe.  I didn't even work up a sweat.  Once the dough is formed, it needs to be refrigerated for at least half an hour.

I form it into a ball and press it down with a glass with flat bottom to about 1/4 in thick and about 1 1/2 in apart.  And into a pre-heated over of 375 F for about 13 minutes (I prefer cookies a little crispy).  I guess this is probably why the color of the cookies is a little darker than Martha Stewart's.  Nevertheless, I like it.  It is definitely a good cookie to have with a cup of milk.  Not to mention, it is loaded with complex flavor and essential minerals such as magnesium.

No comments:

Post a Comment