Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Reimen


I must be craving for noodles---not.  Noodle dishes are usually simple and fast.  So, what this boils down to is "I am lazy!"  Anyway, this is the Japanese version of ren mien (the chinese cold noodle dish).  As usual, I substituted many of the ingredients but kept the essential ones.

Basically, this dish is full of prep work.  Julienne after julienne of fried egg, cucumber, ham and shitake.  And of course the sauce that goes with it.  When I am a little energetic, I'll make banbanji sauce (a spicy sesame base sauce), but this time, I was plain lazy.  So, I use ponzu (sweetened citrus and soy sauce) with a dash of sesame oil.

Actually, the most difficult prep of this meal is the egg.  Just make a bunch of thinly fried egg and stack together.  Nonstick frying pan is the best for this job.  Once everything is done, just julienne them into appropriate size.  Then arrange the julienned ingredients by alternating with each other, then top with beni shouga (basically pickled ginger in beni).  Pour appropriate amount of ponzu and reimen is ready to be eaten.  Nothing beats this cool sweet and sour dish in a hot day, though today is somewhat chilly in Cheney.

No comments:

Post a Comment