Sunday, March 14, 2021

Pineapple tarts for Chinese New Year


 Pineapple tarts, a favorite of my daughter.  Also, a popular must have cookies for Chinese New Year celebration in Malaysia.

It is hard for me buy this here where I am at.  Of course, this means I'll have to make it myself.  With the convenience of online recipes available with just a quick search on Google, I immediately went to work.

First of, the pineapple jam...of course this needs to be made ahead of time.  Easy right.  Yeah, just time consuming.  But with the wonders of technology like the food processor, I don't even have to grate the pineapples like how olden days pineapple jam was made.  With a blitz, my pineapple pulp was ready to be cooked down with sugar into thick jammy consistency.  Yeah, this is where I pull a chair and my little computer with K-drama playing while I stir the pineapple pulp occasionally while it simmers,


Once the jam is done, now on to the next step, the cookie dough.  I just pick the recipe with the nicest picture.  Hahaha...I cannot tell if it taste good or not until I made them, but at least the picture looks good.  Most cookie dough recipe available in the Internet are simple, so, I was able to make that in one trial.  Once the dough is done, chilled for at least half-an-hour.  Then it's ready.  Rolled it out, cut out with cookie cutter and put a dollop of pineapple jam on top.  Recipe even make thin strips to criss cross on top of the jam, but I find that too much work just to buff up the ecstacticness.

Preheat oven at 350 F, popped the trays into the oven and wait for 15 to 18 min.  I like my cookies a little brown.  They are done.  Quite simple right, but it is a 3 days job (I took my time).  One day for jam, another day for dough and final day for shaping and baking.

All in all, it was a satisfying effort for my non-festive Chinese New Year here where I am at.

No comments:

Post a Comment