Monday, April 15, 2013

24 little madeleines in four straight lines


I am sure many of you may have thought of the 12 little girls in two straight lines from the famous children book, Madeline.   I cooked the little madeleines in mini cupcake molds since I didn't have the infamous shell shaped molds.  Those things can be quite costly.  At least, that was what I found when I check out William Sonoma.  Anyway, little muffin shaped madeleines work just as well.

These little sweet devils will be today's "oyatsu" for the kids (and adults!)  Oyatsu, literally tea break snacks usually serve with tea (or juice whatever kids prefer).  Usually, when the kids get home they are so hungry, I thought these little snack is just perfect to tie them over till dinner time. (Maybe).

The batter for madeleines are very similar to genoise or sponge cake but I think making madeleines are much easier.  I got the recipe from Martha Stewart site.  For today's batch, I made a little change, that is by adding orange zest in it.  I smelled wonderfully citrusy.

There are a few variations, but I have yet tried them all.  For now, this recipe seems to work well.  Please try for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment