Friday, April 12, 2013

Tonkatsu and Miso Katsu


In my family, tonkatsu (see picture above) is one of the most well received dish.  Everyone loves it and it is a good food to have for bento.  Tonkatsu is basically breaded pork.  There are many variations if you were to try it in Japan.  Here at home, I have only made two to three variations---that is, instead of a slab of meat coated with flour, egg and panko, I thinly sliced it and add cheese or shiso in between the meat then coat the layered meat. Sounds like a lot of work, and yes, it is a lot of work but I don't do it as well as the professionals.  And my thinly slice---well, is not exactly thinly sliced.  And sometimes, I'll bread the meat with parmesan mix with the panko (bread crumbs) to make it more of a Italian flavor.  But this too, I don't always do.  I guess, it is also possible to transform that into pork parmasiana.


But for lunch today, I decided to go with miso katsu.  Basically, tonkatsu soaked sweet miso sauce.  The sauce is a mixture of miso, sake, sugar, mirin, and some tonkatsu sauce (optional).  After the tonkatsu soaked up the sauce, sliced it up and served it on top of steamy hot rice.  Then you add a little more of the sauce on top of the meat and rice, and garnish green onions and sesame.  That really hit the right spot in the stomach.  I just finished eating my miso katsu don....now, I'm going to brew myself a cup of green tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment