Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Almond cookies with chocolate custard

Both my husband and I had this as our late night snack.  I know, I know, it is probably not a good idea to eat this right before bed.  Hahaha...but the kids were asleep and we were just craving for some sweets.

Actually, the almond cookies were really derived from macaroon recipe from America's Test Kitchen.  I made small alterations, but essentially the recipe is the same.  Plus, I didn't have the proper tip to pump dough out, so, I decided to make it into a spiral cookie (basically a flat macaroon--see picture).  Usually, the we just eat the "cookies" by itself.  The crispiness and nuttiness makes this cookie a perfect pairing with afternoon tea.  But this time, I added chocolate custard just because I had some leftover in the fridge (from previous day eclairs).  I forgotten to take picture of the eclairs because everyone was too excited to eat...hahaha!

Now, the best part of this cookie aka macaroon is that it is relatively low fat.  There are three main ingredients which are almond meal, sugar (of course I cut down the sugar!), and egg white.  And almond is good for those who have high cholesterol (in appropriate quantity please).  Ssshhh...this is also why I allow my husband to have it as late night snack, though he really ought to be watching his weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment