Saturday, April 27, 2013

Another satisfying lunch using yesterday's dinner---Katsudon!



This is another case of using yesterday's night dinner for today's lunch.  My family loves tonkatsu which is basically fried breaded slice of pork.  Usually, tonkatsu is served with a side of shredded cabbage and perhaps tonjiru (miso soup with pork).

But what is best is when there is left over.  I normally will make lots of tonkatsu just so that I would have left over.  Because, with that slab of fried meat, I could transform it into a totally different dish such as today's lunch.  In a small pan, I heat up a small amount of dashi (fish stock-can be bonito or anchovy base) seasoned with soy sauce, and throw in some sliced onions and julienned carrots, my lunch is more than half completed.  I sliced up my leftover tonkatsu and added into the simmering dashi and vegetable.  While heating up the meat, cracked an egg and beat it slightly before adding into the meat with dashi.  When the eggs about cooked through, sprinkled with a little green onions and shut off the heat.  In a bowl, scooped some hot steam rice then poured the meat with egg and dashi onto the rice and lunch is served!

So simple and best of all only one pan to wash!

No comments:

Post a Comment